In this day and age of modern pain management, it is not enough to simply be a chiropractor Phoenix AZ and only perform spinal adjustments on patients. The Institute of Medicine this study last year showing that over 100 million of Americans, which is 30% of the population, suffers from pain.
Their recommendation was to incorporate more comprehensive methods of pain management to achieve better outcomes. Currently there are multiple avenues of pain management available with the numerous chiropractor in Phoenix doctors. Here are the top 5 treatment methods you should look for in your local chiropractor.
1. Spinal decompression therapy – this is a revolutionary treatment that is excellent at relieving back pain, neck pain, and arm or leg pain. It is FDA cleared and extremely safe while costing less than 5% of what spine surgery costs. Along with other methods of treatment available, satisfactory pain relief can be achieved in well over 85% of individuals.
2. Physical rehab – this is simply another term for physical therapy type exercises. Along with performing spinal manipulation, modern chiropractors are well-trained in these stretching and strengthening exercises. Patients were being treated that chiropractors office who is trained in physical rehab will essentially feel as if they’re doing physical therapy. This may include core strengthening exercises, lumbar stretching and strengthening, and receiving a home program for extra benefit.
3. Tens units – these small devices are about the size of an iPod and emit small electrical impulses. These electrical impulses go through an electrode wire and into a foam pad that sits on the skin where the patient is experiencing pain. A tens unit is a low-cost, low risk, very effective method of achieving pain relief. A TENS unit does not fix the pain problem, but can alter the way the brain perceives pain signals.
4. Massage and acupuncture Phoenix – both of these treatments have been shown to be extremely helpful in numerous research studies for musculoskeletal pain conditions. This may include joint arthritis, low back or neck strains and sprains, or a patient suffering from failed back surgery. As with the other treatments on this list, both are very low risk and very high yield for pain relief. You would be well served to visit a chiropractor who has training or staff in both of these therapies.
5. Manipulation under anesthesia – this is a treatment that has been around for over 60 years. It is excellent when used as a last resort for painful conditions such as frozen shoulder. When a patient goes through substantial chiropractic treatment and is not quite getting the pain relief desired, it may be due to scar tissue or something in the joint that is preventing satisfactory range of motion. Typically it is now chiropractors who perform manipulation under anesthesia in conjunction with the medical doctor.
As you can see, the modern age chiropractor is able to perform much more than simply chiropractic manipulations. Do little research before deciding on your local chiropractor to make sure they are incorporating these modern effective treatments. Preferred Pain Center has the best chiropractor in Phoenix and all of these treatments are incorporated. Call (602) 507-6550 for your appointment today.